As a makeup artist I’m always asked to share my best tricks for the perfect “Smokey eyes”. There are soo many different ways to make your eyes look smokey and you can make a smokey look with so many more colors than just black. But I’ll show you how I make a classic black and quite dramatic smokey look:
- Prepare the entire eye area with concealer. Hide your dark spots under your eyes and apply the concealer on the eyelid aswell to make the shadows stay on better.
- Apply a black cream eyeliner (I used MAC Blacktrack) on your entire eyelid en blend it out in the socket line, making it fade out upwards. Don’t bring the eyeliner too close to your eyebrow!
- Don’t forget to apply it underneath the eye aswell. To get that cat-eye effect I start out thin on the inner part of the eye, making the line thicker as I move towards the corner of the eye. Now smudge it out, you don’t want sharp lines. It’s all about blending it out.
- Intensify the black applying black eyeshadow all over the eyeliner. I use MAC Carbon.
- Apply a lighter shadow (grey, brown etc) from the socket line and let it disappear before reaching the eyebrow to make it easier to blend in the highlighting shadow. I used MAC Patina, a grayish/brown pearled shadow.
- Now apply the lightest shadow below the eyebrow to really open up your eye. Here I used MAC Vanilla.
- Finally some black eye pencil or the cream eyeliner (but be careful, you don’t want to mess with the Blacktrack on the wrong places!) on the lower lashline, a lot of mascara and some color on your eyebrows (if needed!) and you have your perfect smokey look!